This week family travel blogger Erin from Travel with Bender gives us the intel on renting an apartment in Penang, Malaysia.
1. Please tell us about your apartment, the location, when and how long you rented it for?
We rented an apartment in Penang, Malaysia for 2 months. Penang is an island less than a one-hour flight from Kuala Lumpar.
2. How did you find your apartment rental?
We checked the usual –asked friends, airbnb, flipkey, google and stumbled upon it on holidaylettings.co.uk
3. How much did you pay and did you negotiate? What are your negotiating strategies when renting short-term apartments?
We paid $1130 AUD per month. That’s 7250 MYR for 2 months. It was a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment on a high floor with ocean and jungle views.
We definitely negotiated, we negotiate every time. First we establish it has everything we need – wifi, cable, cleaner, electricity and then what extra things it might have – playground, pool, telephone, views. Then we make an offer. In this case we had an idea of what some other apartments were going for in the area so we started there and after 3 or 4 emails we came to an agreement with the Owner.
4. Did you try any strategies for finding a rental that didn’t work?
We find VRBO to be really high. Airbnb is fairly good. However we like Holidaylettings.co.uk cause you can talk direct to the owner straight away with no restrictions, unlike the hidden contact information that Airbnb does.
5. Did you experience any unanticipated problems, either with your rental or the location?
This was the perfect rental. We had no problems. Oh well the security guard around the pool was very strict and quite controlling, but other then that the apartment was a dream.
6. Now that you’ve done your rental, what would you do differently? What would you do the same? Would you recommend where you went as a good place to spend a month?
I don’t think I would do anything differently. We loved the spot and the apartment. I would highly recommend it to everyone!
7. What advice would you give to other travelers looking for a reasonably priced apartment in the same location?
First check location. Miami Green apartments are too far to walk anywhere so you will need a car as well to be there. This was fine with us, we enjoy hiring cars. If you are not planning on hiring a car then consider staying in Batu Ferringhi (7 minute drive from Miami Green) so that you can walk everywhere.
8. Other than the rental we’ve focused on, if you’ve done apartment rentals in other places, what were some of the best ones?
Wow our best rentals, ok, let’s see, here’s the top 5, but we have plenty more if you all have questions on apartments anywhere in the world.
2 bed 2 bath – Manila, Philippines – 21 nights @ $1080 US
2 bed 2 bath – Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia – 28 nights @ $1652 US
3 bed 2 bath – Bangkok, Thailand – 23 nights @ €1331
2 bed 2 bath – Ubud, Bali Indonesia – 3 weeks @ $1150 AUD
2 bed 2 bath – San Diego, USA – 4 nights @ $400 US
About The Bender Family
We rented our house & our dog, packed only 3 suitcases and now this family of four are traveling the world. Leaving our Australian home in May 2012, with a 2 year old & a 3 year old, we determined to make a lifestyle change beneficial for our family. It’s an open-ended, unplanned round the world trip discovering amazing places for toddlers (& we have fun along the way) that you can share by visiting our family travel blog or Facebook page. We look forward to bumping into you around the world.